Can I watch the superbowl free on Android or Windows this Sunday?
Andrew
2024-02-11 08:39:08 UTC
Is there any way to watch the Superbowl from a phone or PC
without having to subscribe with a credit card to something?
I use PadTV on my android tablet, but you won't be able to get it by
tomorrow.
I just tested this for the OP and it "might" work tomorrow for him.

1. I installed the CBS Sports app off the Google Play Store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.sportcaster

2. When I ran it the first time, it asked me to create a login
using my email address, asking me my DOB and other private stuff.

3. Without adding any of that information, I closed the app down
and I restarted the app and now it let me in without credentials.

Then there's a button on top to select the "Superbowl LVIII" channel.
And a button on the bottom to "Watch" what seems like "live" channels.

The strange thing is the audio was all screwed up.
a. Either a video played with no audio.
b. Or the videos played only with audio (and the screen went black).

My phone is set up for privacy, but I've never seen that happen.

I also tried the "CBS News" app which essentially did the same things.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.treemolabs.apps.cbsnews

Maybe someone else can test it out for the OP to see if they concur.
Obviously I have no idea if it will work tomorrow for the Superbowl.
Paul
2024-02-11 09:24:05 UTC
https://i.postimg.cc/5tRYTmZ1/superbowl.jpg
[...]
I thought phones were pretty good on compatibility issues.

Your video symptoms sound like something a PC would do :-)

The canned video may be different than what will be streamed
from the site. It might still work.

Paul
kelown
Date: Sunday, Feb. 11
Time: 6:30 p.m. ET
TV: CBS, Nickelodeon
Stream: Available via Paramount+ on all platforms, or sign in with your
TV provider on CBS.com or CBS Sports apps

After Play Store installation of CBS Sports App on my Samsung S10
(Android 12):
* Pressed the "Continue" button to skip login.
* All videos were muted by default. Pressed the video screen to expose
the speaker icon, then pressed that icon to unmute.
* No problems with playing audio with live video with the CBS Sports App
on my smartphone.

Installed from Play Store via Windows 10 Bluestacks App Player emulator:
* Pressed the "Continue" button to skip login.
* All videos were muted by default, etc.
* No audio lag with live video, played just as smoothly as smartphone.

Installed from Play Store via Windows 10 Nox emulator:
* Some audio lag with live video, otherwise OK.
Andrew
2024-02-11 20:35:06 UTC
Post by kelown
Stream: Available via Paramount+ on all platforms, or sign in with your
TV provider on CBS.com or CBS Sports apps
My phone is set up to disallow paying for anything so I tried
Paramount safely, and as expected, it refused to allow me to pay.

Even so, that's my most straightforward suggestion for the OP.
He can sign up and then cancel & ask for his data to be removed.
Post by kelown
* Pressed the "Continue" button to skip login.
I had not seen that "Continue" button so thanks for finding it for us.

I noticed it doesn't check the email you give it because I always give an
app a bogus email address, but I accidentally gave it an address that
existed at first, but then I made it more random and it doesn't verify.

So the OP and anyone else can either skip the login information or give it
bogus login information and it will let you log in if that matters at all.
Post by kelown
* All videos were muted by default. Pressed the video screen to expose
the speaker icon, then pressed that icon to unmute.
For some reason I never saw (and still don't see) that speaker icon.

But your tests gave me the confidence to fiddle around and at some point
in the CBS Sports app fiddling with it finally turned the video audio on.

It's weird that it has the video muted at the start though. Why do that?

Until you responded, I had figured it was something wrong on my phone.
So I'm happy you solved that mystery that it's not just me. It's everyone.

What's unusual though is I can't STOP (pause) the video once it plays.
But maybe that's a function of the fact that I can't find the controls.

From the looks of the CBS Sports app, it "appears" that it will play the
superbowl later on today, but it's really up to the OP to figure that out.
Peter
2024-02-11 20:45:35 UTC
Of course, you can use your cellphone, as kelown suggested. But
then you also have to figure in the cost of a microscope and a stiff
neck to actually see the game. Otherwise it's like Charlie Chaplin's
flea circus. They claim it's the Super Bowl, but how would you
know for sure? :)
How tall is your monitor screen? A foot? A foot and a half? How tall?
That's how tall your Android phone will be when mirrored onto it.

Even better, in landscape mode the question becomes how wide is it?
That's how wide your Android phone will be when mirrored onto it.

Everything is mirrored. Video. Sound. Mic. Keyboard. Mouse. Clipbrd.
https://duckduckgo.com/&q=mirror+android+free+on+pc+monitor
Newyana2
2024-02-11 21:11:45 UTC
"Peter" <***@nospam.net> wrote

| How tall is your monitor screen? A foot? A foot and a half? How tall?
| That's how tall your Android phone will be when mirrored onto it.

So you're watching on a cellphone that's sent to a computer monitor?
That's better than just a cellphone. You can watch with just binoculars. :)
My TV is 32".
Peter
2024-02-12 04:55:30 UTC
Newyana2 wrote on 11.02.2024 16:11Newyana2 wrote on 11.02.2024 16:11>| How
Post by Newyana2
| That's how tall your Android phone will be when mirrored onto it.

So you're watching on a cellphone that's sent to a computer monitor?
That's better than just a cellphone. You can watch with just binoculars. :)
My TV is 32".
I don't understand your logic.

At 16:9 a 32" diagonal monitor is about 16" tall by about 28" wide.
https://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

An average cellphone is 5.8 to 6.2 inches tall by about 3 inches wide.
https://www.coolblue.be/en/advice/smartphone-screens.html

That means in portrait mode your cellphone shows up on your PC monitor at
about 16" tall by about 8" wide, which should not need those binoculars.

In landscape mode (which is how you'd watch videos) your cellphone expands
to about 28" wide by about 14" tall, basically taking up the entire screen.

My logic would be that you can see your PC screen today, so when your phone
takes up that same PC screen, why would it be any harder for you to see?
Newyana2
2024-02-12 12:47:16 UTC
"Peter" <***@nospam.net> wrote

| My logic would be that you can see your PC screen today, so when your
phone
| takes up that same PC screen, why would it be any harder for you to see?

I see. But if you have a computer and monitor, you don't
need to get the video on a cellphone. You can just
use a browser.
Peter
2024-02-12 20:49:59 UTC
Post by Newyana2
| My logic would be that you can see your PC screen today, so when your
phone
| takes up that same PC screen, why would it be any harder for you to see?

I see. But if you have a computer and monitor, you don't
need to get the video on a cellphone. You can just
use a browser.
It's good you're longer thinking Android is "too small" when you're at
home, as Android is as big as your PC monitor is when you're at home.

What you're saying now is that there isn't much on Android that you can't
do from your PC when you're at home, and that's mostly the case for you.

But that's a completely different issue than Android being too small.
As, when you're at home, Android is as big as you can make Windows be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrcpy
Gelato
2024-02-12 21:55:43 UTC
This is a general problem with Chrome/Chromium not only in Windows but
also in Linux: It does not throw away the streaming data once it has
been displayed but keeps it until the system's RAM is full, resulting in
crashes.
There could be a WideVine module loaded as well, for playback.
So there probably is no way to alter that behaviour?
I would like to know if there was a way to alter that behavior as I don't
stream things other than YouTube and it doesn't happen with YouTube in my
experiences. So this was my first bona fide video streaming event ever.

At first when I got the "Aw Snap" out-of-memory error, I tried to kill
everything else that was using the most resources as shown by Memory Hogs.

But it didn't make any difference as the top Chrome process memory slowly
climbed back to about 1600 MBytes and then it would "Aw Snap" on me again.

I tried clearing the cache and dumping everything the browser knew about,
but that made no discernible difference either.

Neither did smallifying the browser to an almost phone size, which didn't
seem to matter (actually I was happy about that as I didn't have to do it).

Nothing I could think of worked.
If you can think of something for next years superbowl, let me know.